Category 11 out of 12
Theoretical Construct: Theories in Compliance and Aggression
Associated Category/Categories: Oppositional Behaviors
- Pulling, pushing, grabbing.
- Kicking, biting, scratching, punching.
- Spitting, throwing things, breaking objects.
- Self-abuse / mutilation.
Purpose of the Behavior
- Demonstrates presence of physiological, security or belongingness need that needs to be fulfilled.
- Demonstrates blocked goal attainment, which leads to negative emotions of anger / discontentment.
- Demonstrates a response to an impediment.
- Demonstrates direct defiance to commands from health care providers and care team.
- Demonstrates a potential change in milieu homeostasis.
- Instrumental Aggression:
- Demonstrates process of systematic thinking (benefits / rewards)
- Demonstrates reward-consequence paradigm.
- Hostile Aggression:
- Demonstrates an emotional response to provocation / negative feelings.
- Demonstrates potential intrinsic perturbations which lead to negative feelings.
- Demonstrates potential extrinsic blocked goal attainment, which leads to frustration and aggression.