Category 10 out of 12
Theoretical Construct: Theories in Compliance and Aggression
Associated Category/Categories: Physically Aggressive Behaviors
- Observed in early stages of impairment with high intellectual function. Person negotiates around care and other needs.
- Passive non-compliance:
- Observed in early stages of impairment with lower intellectual function. Person is evasive to commands.
- Simple non-compliance:
- Observed in moderate stages of impairment with persons with lower intellectual function. Person is resistive to care, medications, meals, commands.
- Direct defiance:
- Observed in advanced stages of impairment with persons with lower intellectual function. Person is territorial, vocal, and physically aggressive.
Purpose of the Behavior
- Demonstrates shift to “parent-child” relationship between person and care team / loved ones as D/NCD progresses.
- Non-compliance in relationship results in oppositional behaviors.
- Demonstrates level of pre-morbid developmental sophistication:
- Dictates level / type of non-compliance.
- Demonstrates bi-directional dynamic interaction between person and care support team.
- Demonstrates need for patient-centered, individualized approach to care.