Category 5 out of 12
Theoretical Construct: Motivational and Needs-Based Theories
- Roaming, strolling, wandering.
- Fidgety, restless, agitated.
- Seemingly driven, ‘on the go.’
- Chair / bed exiting.
- Wheelchair rocking / propelling.
Purpose of the Behavior
- Demonstrates change in motor activity frequency and amplitude:
- Increase in motivational levels.
- Increase in autonomic arousal.
- Demonstrates a degree of unrest in the person.
- Milieu dictates type of behavior expressed.
- State of mind / degree of arousal dictates type of behaviors expressed.
- Demonstrates presence of other behavioral categories:
- Motor behaviors usually occur in conjunction with other behaviors.