Category 6 out of 12
Theoretical Construct: Motivational and Needs-Based Theories
- Persistently seeking reassurance or assistance.
- Demands to be met immediately.
- Shadowing staff, being a pest, crowding personal space.
- “Attention” seeking or “manipulative” behaviors.
Purpose of the Behavior
- Demonstrates preserved motivational drives in detection and fulfillment of physiological needs.
- Demonstrates presence of possible physiological unmet need:
- Persistent actions focus on fulfilling the need, which may be physical, medical, or emotional.
- Staff should identify and help satisfy the need(s).
- Obvious / Overt Expression:
- Sexually Deviant Behaviors
- Addictions Behavior
- Medicine seeking / medical attention
- Disability support seeking
- Ambiguous / Occult Expression:
- Depression and D/NCD
- Pacing / agitation
- Disinhibited behavior