Category 7 out of 12
Theoretical Construct: Theories in Regulation of Emotion
- Appearing sad, despondent, tearful.
- Expression of despair, morbidity, helplessness.
- Mimicking, mocking, dismissive.
- Sarcastic, teasing, derogatory, critical, negative.
- Feeling rejected / increased sensitivity.
Purpose of the Behavior
- Demonstrates emotional regulation of melancholy and discontentment.
- Feeling of “comfort” when expressing melancholy.
- Feeling of “protection” when expressing discontentment.
- Verbal / non-verbal expression of emotion is in attempt to:
- Feel good.
- Decrease pain.
- Decrease the risk of being hurt
- Demonstrates need for embrace, accepting demeanor, and comforting responses from care team and family.